The square was first used in 1792 as a military parade ground and subsequently became and remains an urban recreation ground, which it was formally dedicated as in 1887.Edward Buckley Wynyard arrived at Sydney, from London, early in 1848In 1851 Wynyard became lieutenant-general and two years later left Sydney and returned to London.In January 1860 he was promoted general. He died of bronchitis in London on 24 November 1864. His name is remembered in Wynyard Square, Sydney, and probably in the town Wynyard in northern Tasmania which he visited in 1850-51.
Six gatehouses, dating back to 1870, were built around Parramatta Park . The first was a stone lodge built by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1820.
#38- Hyde Park in 1842
#324- Hyde Park from the Australian Museum
#324- Hyde Park from the St Mary’s Cathedral
#324- Hyde Park from St Mary’s Cathedral
Hyde Park was named after the original Hyde Park in London. The park is pock marked with drain lids, many of which lead down to Busby's Bore, the first large scale attempt at a water source system after the backing up of Tank Stream, the Sydney colony's primary water source. Busby's Bore was built between 1827 and 1837 using convict labour and supplied fresh water from Lachlan Swamps to the city. Lachlan Swamps later became known as Centennial Park. From the very early days of the colony, the open area to the south east of the settlement was a favourite place for sport and recreation. It was known variously as 'The Common', the 'Exercising Ground', the 'Cricket Ground' and the 'Race Course'. On October 13, 1810, Governor Macquarie separated the area from the Domain to the north, named it Hyde Park (after Hyde Park in London) and dedicated it for the "recreation and amusement of the inhabitants of the town and a field of exercises for the troops". He kept the Domain for his own exclusive use. Many sports were played at Hyde Park including cricket, rugby, horse racing, quoits and hurling, however, sports people using Hyde Park had share it with both the military, who trained on it and practised drill work, the public, who cut paths across the playing fields, stray dogs, cattle, goats, sheep and other animals as well as other sports people whose interests sometimes conflicted. The quoit players in particular, used an area close to the cricket pitch and often damaged it.Only two days after Governor Macquarie dedicated Hyde Park for 'recreation and amusement' it became the site of Australia's first official horse race meeting organised on October 15, 17 and 19, 1810 by the officers of the 73rd Regiment (Macquarie's regiment). The meetings to devise the rules and organise the event were held in the officers' mess and many of the horses were owned by the officers.