Located in the Southern Highland, the area of Picton was first settled in the 1820s when Major Henry Colden Antill would take a large land grant in the area. Then known as Stonequarry, the area’s history of stone masonry is evident in the historic railway viaduct built in the 1860s which is still in use today.The Viaduct was built of sandstone between 1863 and 1867 at a time when John Whitton was responsible for railway construction in New South Wales. The viaduct is 84 metres long and has five arches, the highest measuring 30 metres. Close to Picton railway station, it was built for two lines of track and although it is not the first Railway Viaduct built in the state, it is considered unique because it is the oldest still in used today.
#227- Picton Viaduct
Pyrmont’s colourful history dates back to 1799, when it was purchased by John Macarthur for a gallon of rum. Since then, the suburb has transformed from a thriving industrial area to one of the most derelict parts of Sydney, and then back to the trendy, diverse community it is now. Pyrmont was home to Australia’s first steam-powered mill which was built in Darling Harbour in 1815 - now the Powerhouse Museum. The 1870’s saw the rise of a successful wool industry in the area, with auctions being transferred from London to Sydney. By the 1890’s, wool stores, power stations and mills created employment for thousands of local residents and continued to do so until well into the 1960’s, particularly during World War II. As early as 1900, Pyrmont was the Australian centre for distribution of flour, milk, sugar and wool, and was providing Sydney with all its power for lights and trams. As well as its thriving wool industry, Pyrmont was the home of Sydney’s best sandstone, creating a highly profitable quarrying business. Some of Sydney’s most reputable and well-known buildings were built using Pyrmont’s yellow block sandstone, including Sydney Town Hall, the Art Gallery of NSW and the University of Sydney. The first Pyrmont Bridge opened in 1858, and a larger bridge with a central swing span which opened in 1902, to allow larger ocean craft to pass. There is a plaque on stone parapet wall at the south-west corner – the words of which are:-. "Pyrmont Bridge This bridge built between 1899 and 1902 was an essential link between the city and the inner western suburbs. The swing span was one of the largest in the world and the first to be powered by electricity. The approach spans represented the highest level of development of the timber truss. Designed by Percy Allan with the assistance of J J C Bradfield and Gordon Edgell, its Australian design and construction made it a source of pride to all Sydney-siders".
#118 - Pyrmont Bridge
#142- Pyrmont Bridge
#293 - Pyrmont Bridge
#375 - Pyrmont Bridge
#376 - Pyrmont Bridge (Open)
Suspension Bridge, North Sydney
1880s North Sydney Tramway and Development Company formed to sell land and develop area north of Flat Rock Creek. 1889/90 Construction underway. The Bridge's designers, W H Warren and J E F Coyle, chose an ornate suspension structure which was the largest of its type in Australia at the time and the fourth largest in the world.1892 The Suspension Bridge opened with much acclaim becoming an instant tourist attraction featured on postcards and in many glossy publications of the day. Initially the Bridge operated as a foot bridge only with a toll charge of threepence return for adults and one penny for children.1909 Tramway line constructed to the Bridge opened in May 1909. This line assisted the development of the area which commonly became known as "Suspension Bridge".