Stamp

 

Postcards from 100 years ago

 

 

My Sitemap

Hierarchical Sitemap
Navigation Menu Sitemap

  • Adderley Street was originally named Heerengracht, after the canal which ran down its centre. For many years it was a residential street, lined with large oak trees, but by 1850 it had become strongly commercial in character. Mayor Hercules Jarvis named it Adderley Street in 1850, to honour British Parliamentarian Charles Bowyer Adderley (elevated to the peerage as Baron Norton in 1878) who fought successfully against the plan for the British government to make Cape Town into another penal colony.
    Adderley-Street.html

  • The area was first settled in the late 1830s. Is is thought to be named after a native shrubs that looked like flowering Hawthorn bushes.
    Auburn-Road,-Hawthorne.html

  • Manly; Mosman; Clifton Gardens and Chowder Bay; Neutral Bay; Lavender Bay and Berrys Bay
    Bays-and-Beaches-North-of-Harbour.html

  • Bondi; Coogee; Woolloomooloo; Watsons Bay; Rushcutters Bay; Rose Bay; Double Bay; Potts Point and Elizabeth Bay
    Bays-and-Beaches-South-of-the-Harbour.html

  • Bent Street in Sydney, Bent's Basin and Ellis Bent Road, Greendale near the Warragamba Dam are named after Ellis Bent, deputy judge advocate of NSW
    Bent-Street.html

  • Bondi Beach. In the early 1800s swimming at Sydney's beaches was a controversial pastime. Convicts were forbidden from bathing in Sydney Harbour because of "the dangers of sharks and stingrays, and for reasons of decorum". By the 1830's sea bathing was a popular activity despite being officially banned between 9.00am and 8.00pm. .
    Bondi-Beach.html

  • The Sydney Domain was set aside by Governor Phillip as his private reserve and Arthur Phillip’s personal servant, Henry Edward Dodd, established a small grain farm at the site of the future Royal Botanic Gardens. The first grain was harvested in July 1788. However most of the crop failed due to being planted out of season, being eaten by rats and the poor soil. By January 1789, Dodd had moved to Parramatta.
    Botanic-Gardens-and-Palace-Gardens.html

  • Bourke Street is named for Sir Richard Bourke, the Governor of New South Wales (and thus, of Melbourne as well) in 1837 during the drafting of the Hoddle Grid.
    Bourke-Street.html

  • Bridge Street, at the northern end of the city, owes its name to the bridge that was erected to cross the Tank Stream. This was the first bridge erected by the British settlers in Australia. The Tank Stream, the only source of natural water, was the reason that the first settlers chose Sydney Cove for their settlement and not one of the other coves along the harbour.
    Bridge-Street.html

  • The major bridges around Sydney. The Sydney Harbour Bridge; Pyrmont Bridge across Darling Harbour; the Suspension Bridge in North Sydney; the Spit Bridge
    Bridges-Sydney-Harbour-Bridge-and-others.html

  • Buildings-of-Sydney.html

  • Captain Cook was the first known European to visit the site where today's city of Cairns is located.
    Cairns.html

  • The area between mountain and sea was granted to John Lodewyk Wernich and passed from father to son. Johan Wernich married Anna Koekemoer who on his death in 1778 married Fredrick Ernst von Kamptz, a sailor, and the area became known as “Die Baai van von Kamptz”.
    Camps-Bay-and-Kloof-Neck.html

  • Lewisham was named in 1834 after the estate of Joshua Frey Josephson, businessman and judge and also owner of Enmore House. He named it after the London Borough of Lewisham, which means Leofsa's village or manor.
    Canterbury-Road.html

  • The Tavern of the Seas - old postcards of Cape Town
    Cape-Town.html

  • Centennial Park has a distinctive and special place in Australian history and culture. It was once a huge catchment of creeks, swamps, springs, sand dunes and ponds fed by ground water, and was traditionally home to the Gadi people.
    Centennial-Park.html

  • Circular-Quay-and-Sydney-Harbour.html

  • Clifton Gardens on Chowder Bay was named after and early settler, Captain E. H. Cliffe purchased a 56 acre estate on the waters edge. It later became the home of the submarine Corp in the 1890's
    Clifton-Gardens.html

  • College Street was named after Sydney Grammar School that was located in the street.
    College-Street.html

  • As laid out by the surveyor Robert Hoddle, it was exactly one mile in length and one and half chains (99 feet (30 m)) wide. Collins Street was named after Lieutenant-Governor David Collins who led a group of settlers in establishing a short-lived settlement at Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula south of Melbourne in the early 19th century. He subsequently became the first governor of the colony of Van Diemen's Land, later to become Tasmania.
    Collins-Street.html

  • The Como Rail Bridge is one of twelve lattice truss bridges ordered, imported and constructed for the Railway Department of New South Wales, Australia [from 1871 to 1887]
    Como.html

  • The territory from Sydney Cove to Parramatta, on the northern side of the Parramatta River, was thought to be that of the Wallumedegal, and had the aboriginal name Wallumetta, the territory of the Wallumede people.
    Constitution-Road-in-Meadowbank.html

  • Under Construction
    Contact-Us.html

  • The name 'Coogee' (pronounced as "could gee") seems to have been derived from an Aboriginal word which means "bad smell". This would be of course due to the decaying seaweed which is washed up onto the beach - even in these modern times.
    Coogee-Beach.html

  • Cronulla is derived from kurranulla, meaning ‘‘place of the pink seashells’’ in the dialect of the area's Aboriginal inhabitants, the Dharawal people.
    Cronulla.html

  • Darling-Harbour.html

  • What is now the Darling Point area was originally known as Eurambi, Yarranabbi, Yarrandabbi and Yaranabe by the local Aboriginal people. It was named Darling Point in recognition of Elizabeth Darling, the wife of New South Wales Governor Ralph Darling.
    Darling-Point.html

  • Double Bay takes its name from the bay situated on Sydney Harbour. It refers to the two geographical formations between Point Piper and Darling Point, which are interrupted by a miniature point in between. The eastern part is also known as Blackburn Cove. Double Bay is an affluent residential suburb. Because of its well heeled residents Double Bay earned the monicker 'Double Bay, double pay'
    Double-Bay.html

  • Elizabeth Street is one of the main north-south streets in the central business district of Melbourne, Australia, part of the Hoddle Grid laid out in 1837. It is presumed to have been named in honour of governor Richard Bourke's wife.
    Elizabeth-Street.html

  • Fig Tree Bridge is a girder bridge that spans the Lane Cove River, west of the CBD in Sydney, Australia. It is immediately to the north of Tarban Creek Bridge and the more well known Gladesville Bridge. The bridge carries Burns Bay Road and a footpath and connects the suburb of Hunters Hill to Linley Point.
    Fig-Tree-Bridge.html

  • Flinders-Street.html

  • It is possible that George Street was the first street in Australia. Until 1810 George Street was generally referred to as High Street in the English custom. George Street was named for King George III of the United Kingdom by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1810.
    George-Street.html

  • This is the description for the index page of your site and so should include some appropriately keyword rich copy.
    index.html

  • The Sydney Eye Hospital, St Vincents Hospital, The Walker Hospital
    Hospitals-of-Sydney.html

  • King Street was named after Governor King, the third Governor of NSW. It forms the northern border of 'modern' Pitt Street Mall.
    King-Street.html

  • La-Perouse.html

  • Berrys Bay and Lavender Bay are on either side of the peninsula known as McMahons point. This was once predominantly working-class, it is now among Sydney's most exclusive localities.
    Lavender-Bay-and-Berrys-Bay.html

  • Under Construction
    London.html

  • Macquarie Street
    Macquarie-Street.html

  • Man-O-War-Steps.html

  • Manly beach is on the north side of the entrance to Sydney Harbour and was given the name as a result of the manly stature of the Aboriginals first seen there
    Manly-Beach.html

  • Market-Street.html

  • Queen Victoria Market - Belmore Market
    Markets.html

  • Maroubra is a local Aboriginal word meaning place of thunder.
    Maroubra-Beach.html

  • Martin Place was officially opened and named in honour of New South Wales premier and Chief Justice James Martin. The General Post Office occupied the entire southern frontage of the street.
    Martin-Place.html

  • Founded on 30 August 1835 (in what was then the Colony of New South Wales), by settlers from Launceston in Van Diemen's Land, it was incorporated as a Crown settlement in 1837
    Melbourne.html

  • Home to the Borogegal tribe, Mosman became a defence post for Sydney on Georges Head, and later, the centre of the Colonies whaling enterprises
    Mosman.html

  • Neutral Bay - The name says it all. The place where neutral visitors to Sydney docked
    Neutral-Bay.html

  • Postcards from NSW
    NSW.html

  • Other-Bridges.html

  • Darling Street * Roeland Street * St Georges Street * Riebeek Square * Strand Street
    Other-streets-in-Cape-Town.html

  • Outside-of-the-Capital-Cities.html

  • The first cottages were built around the 1840s Victoria Barracks Army base. Oxford Street was the route of the Bondi tram.
    Oxford-Street.html

  • The parklands in Sydney. Hyde Park, Wynyard Park, Links to Palace Gardens, Centennial Park,
    Parks-Hyde;-Centennial;-Wynyard.html

  • Parramatta.html

  • Pitt Street is a major street in central Sydney. The street runs through the entire city centre from Circular Quay in the north to Waterloo, although today's street is in two disjointed sections after a substantial stretch of it was removed to make way for Sydney's Central railway station
    Pitt-Street.html

  • Post-Offices-in-and-around-Sydney.html

  • Potts Point is named for Joseph Hyde Potts, who was employed by the Bank of New South Wales. He purchased six-and-a-half acres of harbour side land in an area then known as Woolloomooloo Hill – which he renamed Potts Point.
    Potts-Point-and-Elizabeth-Bay.html

  • On 22 April 1840, a private company was formed to construct a bridge across the Yarra. Traders in Elizabeth Street vied with those in Swanston Street to have the through traffic that would be generated by a bridge. On the south bank of the river, St Kilda Road was still a dirt track.
    Princes-Bridge.html

  • Pyrmont’s colourful history dates back to 1799, when it was purchased by John Macarthur for a gallon of rum.
    Pyrmont-Bridge.html

  • Queens Street; Spring Street; Queens Bridge
    Queen-Street.html

  • Kings Cross was previously known as Queens Cross. Kings Cross Sydney was renamed in 1905 to differentiate it from Queens Square in the city.
    Queens-Square.html

  • Queensland.html

  • Redfern, Central
    Railway-Stations.html

  • Ridge-Street,-North-Sydney.html

  • Bridge Street; George Street; William Street; York Street; Pitt Street; King Street; Sydney Road; Canterbury Road; Constitution Road in Meadowbank
    Roads.html

  • Rose Bay was named after The Right Honourable George Rose (he was not knighted) who was joint Secretary to the British Treasury with Thomas Steele, after whom Steel(e) Point at Nielsen Park was named. The name Rose Bay was used as early as 1778 by Captain John Hunter.
    Rose-Bay.html

  • Rushcutters - Originally named Blackburn Cove. In the early settlement years the bay was used by convicts to cut the 'rushes' used as roofing material in the colony.
    Rushcutter-Bay.html

  • Sea Point got its name in 1776 when one of the commanders serving under Capt Cook, Sam Wallis, encamped his men in the area to avoid a smallpox epidemic in Cape Town at the time
    Sea-Point.html

  • sitemap-page-order.html

  • Press releases are available from a wide variety of sources. They provide an excellent source for quality content and they can be edited to meet your particular requirements.
    South-Africa.html

  • The First Spit Bridge was built in seven months from timber, 46 years after the residents of Manly first requested one and 37 years after the first plans were drawn up.
    Spit-Bridge-and-road.html

  • Spring-Street.html

  • Statues in recognition of our founding fathers. The statues of Governor Phillip in the Botanic Gardeny, and Captain Cook in Hyde Park
    Statues-Cook-and-Phillip.html

  • * Wynberg, named after the farm- 'De Oude Wijnbergh; * Muizenberg, formerly Muysenbergh and Muys Zijn Bergh named after Sergeant Muys. * Kalk Bay, where the supplies from Cape Town stopped and had the be shipped onwards to Simon's Town
    Suburban-Cape-Town.html

  • Sans Souci:- Sans Souci is a French term meaning "without care"
    Suburban-Sydney.html

  • This picturesque bridge has had many name references to it over the last 100 years including: The Suspension Bridge, Northbridge; The Suspension Bridge, Cammeray; Cammeray Bridge; The North Sydney Suspension Bridge; Suspension Bridge, North Sydney.
    Suspension-Bridge-North-Sydney.html

  • Swanston Street is named after Captain Charles Swanston, a Tasmanian banker and prominent member of the Port Phillip Association.
    Swanston-Street.html

  • Sydney.html

  • Manly was visited and named by Captain Arthur Phillip some time between 21st and 23rd January, 1788. Captain Arthur Phillip was impressed with the confident and manly behaviour of the Aboriginal people of the Cannalgal and Kayimai clans who waded out to his boat in North Harbour when he was exploring Port Jackson in January 1788. Sydney Road is the road that the early settlers took after crossing the harbour higher up on the peninsula
    Sydney-Road.html

  • Sydney-Zoo.html

  • On 17 April 1907 a public park known by the name of ‘Tamarama Beach’ was proclaimed for public recreation, and Waverley Council was appointed as trustee. About the same time, the Tamarama Surf Life Saving Club was established on the northern headland above Tamarama beach.
    Tamarama.html

  • Around Cape Town central andTable Mountain
    The-City.html

  • The-Harbour.html

  • The Australian Museum has occupied the current site since it opened to the public in 1857. The extended and enlarged complex of sandstone buildings now provide its principal exhibition, administrative and research accommodation.
    The-Museum.html

  • Transvaal is a geographic term associated with land north of (i.e., beyond) the Vaal River in modern-day South Africa. Many states and administrative divisions have carried the name Transvaal. Now, a large portion of the Transvaal is known as Gauteng Province.
    Transvaal.html

  • The original Vaucluse House, from which the area derived its name, was built by Sir Henry Browne Hayes, who had been transported to New South Wales for kidnapping the granddaughter of a wealthy Irish banker. This only helps to show that sometimes crime does pay.
    Vaucluse.html

  • A quick and easy way of adding content to a site is to create a resources list. This can be anything from a simple list of appropriate web sites or it can be a full blown directory that includes mini-reviews of each of the sites listed.
    Victoria.html

  • Watsons Bay was named after Robert Watson (1756-1819), formerly the quartermaster of the first fleet vessel, the HMAS Sirius. After two shipwrecks, Watson returned to Sydney where he became the harbour pilot and harbourmaster of the port of Sydney in 1811. In 1816 he became first superintendent of Macquarie Lighthouse.
    Watsons-Bay.html

  • William Street runs from Kings Cross to Hyde Park where it turns into Park Street. The street forms the border between the two suburbs of Woolloomooloo and Darlinghurst. Today the newly completed Cross City Tunnel follows much of the route of William Street. It was constructed in an attempt to ease traffic congestion in the CBD.
    William-Street.html

  • Woolloomooloo was once the most desirable suburb in Sydney. Either from the aboriginal words Wallamullah, meaning place of plenty or Wallabahmullah, meaning a young black kangaroo. Woolloomooloo was once the most desirable suburb.
    Wooloomooloo.html

  • York Street runs south from Druitt Street and ends at the Western Distributor Freeway. Two lines of the Wynyard railway station run south under the modern street from Wynyard to the Sydney Town Hall.
    York-Street.html

 

   Contact Us

   Privacy Policy

   Site Map