The first cottages were built around the 1840s Victoria Barracks Army base.
In May 1909 the Sydney Council resolved to widen Oxford Street from 66ft to 100ft by resuming the entire north side of the street between Liverpool and Bourke Streets. The project was carried out in five stages between 1910 and 1914. The result was a new boulevard and the creation of a "federation" streetscape which remains today largely intact.
Trams to Bondi and Bronte beaches travelled down Oxford St, until the line was closed in 1960, replaced by the current bus service. “Shoot through like a Bondi tram”