The name "Neutral Bay" originates from the time of the early colonial period of Australia, where different bays of Sydney harbour were zoned for different incoming vessels. This bay was where all foreign vessels would dock, hence the name neutral.The Aboriginal name for the area was 'Wirra-birra'. In 1789, soon after the arrival of the First Fleet in Sydney, Governor Arthur Phillip declared this bay a neutral harbour where foreign ships could anchor and take on water and supplies. Neutral Bay was far enough away from Sydney Cove to discourage convicts from escaping on these vessels and to keep possible enemy ships at a distance from the main settlement. There are two Long Bays in the Sydney region, one being a large inlet on Middle Harbour on Sydney's Lower North Shore. The bay, which incorporates the lesser waterways of Quakers Hat Bay, Wreck Bay (Salt Pan Creek) and Willoughby Bay, is surrounded by the affluent suburbs of Northbridge, Cammeray, Cremorne Junction and Beauty Point, Mosman. The residents of which make full use of the bay for the archorage and maintenance of their pleasure craft.The main shopping district of Neutral Bay, known as Neutral Bay Junction, is along Military Road, which is the main road that runs through Neutral Bay, Cremorne and Mosman. It features many quality shops, restaurants and cafes. The Big Bear shopping centre is a shopping mall that features a supermarket and grocery shops.The Oaks Hotel is a well-known and popular venue located on the corner of Military Road and Ben Boyd Road. It has been a popular meeting place in Sydney since 1885. The Oaks Hotel features a number of restaurants, bars, function rooms and an impressive beer garden with the main focal point an old oak tree that provides plenty of shade to patrons in summer.