Berrys Bay and Lavender Bay are on either side of the peninsula known as McMahons point. This was once predominantly working-class, it is now among Sydney's most exclusive localities. McMahons Point is named after Maurice McMahon, an Irish manufacturer of brushes and combs who, in 1864, built his home on the headland. Land in this area was originally settled and farmed by James Milson (1785-1872), a Napoleonic War veteran, in 1806. Further grants were subsequently made in 1817 to Billy Blue, a Jamaican convict turned Sydney Harbour waterman, which remained within his family until the 1850s. Subsequently, the estate was progressively subdivided, with the earliest developments occurring on the northern end. Blues Point Road had been gazetted from 1839 as a thoroughfare from the ferry wharf to the St Leonards township. Most of the middle and southern sections of the peninsula were subdivided by the 1870s. A tram line was extended to McMahons Point in 1909, further stimulating development, particularly along Blues Point Road. Lavender Bay was named after the Bosun, George Lavender, from the prison hulk "Phoenix", which was moored there for many years. The bay was originally called Hulk Bay and sometimes Phoenix Bay. George Lavender lived on 14 acres (57,000 m2) adjacent to the property of Billy Blue. On 30 May 1915 the Lavender Bay railway station was opened to take the place of Milsons Point railway station. This only lasted for seven weeks, as passengers refused to alight here and demanded that trains stop at Milsons Point. During the harbour bridge construction, Lavender Bay Station was the terminus for the North Shore Line. The area is now railway storage sidings. Large numbers of passenger and vehicular ferries travelled between Blues Point/McMahons Point and the city at the turn of the century. When the Sydney Harbour Bridge opened in 1932, the wharves of McMahons and Blues Point provided services every 10–15 minutes and served six million passengers per year. The opening of the harbour bridge immediately rendered the bulk of these ferries redundant and, in 1935, small ferries operated by Hegarty Ferries took over the former runs of the larger craft of Sydney Ferries Ltd to McMahons Point. The tram service was replaced by buses in 1933.Boatbuilding spread throughout the harbour in the late 19th century. One of the first boat builders was William Dunn. In 1909 the Meredith family started the Neptune Engineering Slipway Company which continued working until its closure in 1989. Remains of the Neptune's slipway of 1929 still remains. John Meredith imported the first full diesel engine into Australia in 1912 and Roy Meredith designed and built the first all Australian built diesel marine engine in their works on Lavender Bay.