La Perouse was named after Le Compte de Laperouse, a French explorer who arrived here in 1788.La Pérouse (1741-88), landed on the northern shore of Botany Bay west of Bare Island in January 1788. his two ships sailed to New South Wales after some of his men had been attacked and killed in the Navigator Islands (Samoa). La Pérouse arrived off Botany Bay on 24 January just six days after Captain Arthur Phillip (1738-1814) had anchored just east of Bare Island, in H.M. Armed Tender Supply. On 26 January 1788, as Arthur Phillip was moving the First Fleet around to Port Jackson after finding Botany Bay unsuitable for a Settlement, La Pérouse was sailing into Botany Bay, anchoring there just eight days after the British had. The British received La Pérouse courteously, and offered him any assistance he might need. The French were far better provisioned than the English were, and extended the same courtesy; but neither offer was accepted. La Pérouse sent his journals and letters to Europe with a British ship, the Sirius. The first building in the area was the round stone tower constructed in 1820-22 as accommodation for a small guard of soldiers stationed there to prevent smuggling, and the tower still stands today. By 1885, an Aboriginal reserve had been established in the suburb and a number of missions were operated in the area. The original church was dismantled and moved to the corner of Elaroo and Adina Avenues, where it still stands.