Sans Souci is a French term meaning "without care", in other
terms, "no worries". The area between Cooks River and Georges River was originally known as Seven
Mile Beach. It was changed to Lady Robinson’s Beach in 1874 to honour the wife of Governor Sir Hercules
Robinson. Cook Park is named after Samuel Cook, who advocated it as a public pleasure
Catherine Cooper was given a 100-acre grant in the area in
1830, where she and husband, Robert Cooper Junior, built a home. The Coopers later operated a distillery there;
the land was known as Charlotte Point and then Rocky Point.