Grey Street Bridge,
Coronation Drive, and Mt Coot-tha, Brisbane
The Cross River Bridge Commission
handed down its report in February 1926. Two Key Bridge recommendations were a bridge from North Quay to Grey
Street South Brisbane and a suspension type bridge from Kangaroo Point to Bowen Terrace.
Council initiated work on the Grey Street Bridge almost immediately.
The Bridge, designed by engineer
A.E Harding Frew was Australia's first multi-span rainbow arch type bridge. M.R Hornibrook built it. The ornate
design of the Bridge was chosen to reflect the "civic pride" felt by Brisbane in its new status following the
creation of the amalgamated Greater Brisbane City Council.
Construction commenced in 1931
and the total cost of the project was 700,000 pounds. The Arches are steel encased in concrete and it was
probably the first major use of the Gunite (sprayed concrete) process in Australia.
The Grey St. Bridge was opened
March 1932 and renamed William Jolly Bridge, on July 5 1955 following the
death of W.A. Jolly, first Mayor of the “greater” Brisbane City Council.
The Moreton Bay district of what
is now the state of Queensland was officially opened to free settlement in 1842 and growth of the Port of
Brisbane quickly followed. The Colony of New South Wales declared Brisbane a ‘Port of Entry and Clearance’ in
1846. The original Custom House was built in 1849 at a bend in the Brisbane River known as Petrie’s Bight. It
was demolished in 1886 with the commencement of the building of a new Custom House.
Work on the new Custom
House took three years to complete and was comissioned in
1889. This stately land mark served as the city's Customs House for
almost a century before the gradual shift of port activities closer to the river mouth undermined its
Customs House finally closed in
April 1988 and for a while the building's future was uncertain. Then in late 1991 the University of Queensland took over the lease and launched a major
restoration program to return the heritage-listed building to its former glory. Three years and $7.5 million
later the original style had been faithfully recaptured - but this time subtly blended into a modern, highly
functional, multipurpose building for educational and cultural activities. The Customs House is once more a
major Brisbane asset.
Brisbane Central Railway Station
Land in Sandgate became available
in 1853, allowing a small seaside settlement to develop.
By 1874, coach services connected
Sandgate to Brisbane. The coming of the railway in 1882 promoted
more rapid development of the Sandgate area.
Travel to Brisbane by train could
be completed in less than one half hour. Sandgate was declared a town by the Governor of Queensland in