Potts Point and Elizabeth
Potts Point is named
for Joseph Hyde Potts, who was employed by the Bank of New South Wales. He purchased six-and-a-half
acres of harbour side land in an area then known as Woolloomooloo Hill – which he renamed Potts
Much of the area that today comprises Potts Point and the adjacent suburb of
Elizabeth Bay, originally constituted part of a land grant to Alexander Macleay, who was the New South
Wales Colonial Secretary from 1826 to 1837, and for whom Macleay Street is named. NSW Judge
Advocate, John Wylde (for whom Wylde Street is named) was another 19th-century public servant who
owned land in the area.
was named in honour of Governor Lachlan Macquarie’s wife, Elizabeth. The area was originally known by
the Aboriginal name 'Yarrandabby' and what is now Macleay Point was 'Jerrewon'.