Stamp

 

Postcards from 100 years ago

 

 

Pitt Street

Pitt Street is a major street in central Sydney. The street runs through the entire city centre from Circular Quay in the north to Waterloo, although today's street is in two disjointed sections after a substantial stretch of it was removed to make way for Sydney's Central railway station.

35 Pitt Street from the Herald corner

290 Pitt StreetPitt Street was originally named Pitt Row, and is one of the earliest named streets in Sydney. While it is usually assumed to be named after British Prime Minister William Pitt who was Prime Minister around the time of the establishment of Sydney, an alternative explanation is that it was initially so-named because it terminated close to the tanks or "pits" excavated in 1791-1792 in the Tank Stream, the original source of fresh water for the colony. In 1842, Pitt Street was continued south through to Waterloo with the subdivision of Redfern. In 1853, Pitt Street was extended north from Hunter Street to Circular Quay.

The newspaper first built offices on the corner of Pitt, Hunter and O’Connell Streets in 1856 when James Fairfax joined his father, the founding John Fairfax, as a partner in the family business. 

By 1920 the newspaper had outgrown the 1856 building and when James Fairfax finally died in 1919 his son, another James, demolished his father’s offices and commissioned Manson and Pickering to build the present block.  

28 Pitt and Spring Street  

 

28 Pitt and Spring Street - Note the street art

 

Top

 

   Contact Us

   Privacy Policy

   Site Map