"Nalawa Daruganora" or "Sit down on Darug land".
This is the traditional greeting
in the language of the local Darug people. The original inhabitants of Parramatta were the Burramatta clan of
the Darug people after which Parramatta was named ('burra' meaning eel and 'matta' meaning
Parramatta Park was the Government Domain from 1788 until March 1857
when approximately 200 acres was designated as a public park. The Tudor style gatehouse built in 1884 replacing Macquarie’s lodge at
the George Street entrance.
Parramatta (Parramatta Dam) is a man-made reservoir located near
Parramatta in the Western Sydney. The masonry arch-walled dam across Hunts Creek
was completed in 1856 to supply water for domestic purposes; and was operational until
The dam has since
been decommissioned and the lake and the surrounding nature reserve are a popular