Stamp

 

Postcards from 100 years ago

 

 

Como Bridge

Como takes its name from Lake Como, at the foot of the Bernese Alps in Italy. The Italian influence is also reflected in some of the street names such as Genoa, Verona and Cremona. 

James Murphy owned land in this area and is thought to have named Como. He managed the affairs of Thomas Holt (1711-88), who owned most of the land that stretched from Sutherland to Cronulla. Murphy built Como House which burnt down in 1969 and developed the Como Pleasure Grounds, commonly known by locals today as 'The Mountain'. After Murphy died, his estate provided scholarships for young men in agricultural science at St John's College Sydney and the Hawkesbury Agricultural College. 

200 Como Bridge 

200 Bridge and Hotel

Before the railway line was being built, the whole area was known as Woronora.  

The first school opened in 1881 and the post office opened on 16 May 1883. The original single track Como railway bridge over the Georges River began service with the opening of the railway station at Como on 26 December 1885. Como became a popular weekend resort with the natural beauty making it popular with holiday makers and honeymooners. 

216 Como Bridge over Georges River

 

218 Como Bridge

 

218 Rebuilt Como Hotel

Before the railway line was being built, the whole area was known as Woronora.  

The first school opened in 1881 and the post office opened on 16 May 1883. The original single track Como railway bridge over the Georges River began service with the opening of the railway station at Como on 26 December 1885. Como became a popular weekend resort with the natural beauty making it popular with holiday makers and honeymooners. 

In 1972, a new double track railway bridge was opened to remove the bottleneck that reduced service numbers on the busy line. A new railway station was also built one kilometre further south. The original railway bridge has since been converted into a pedestrian bridge for pedestrians and cyclists to cross the Georges River, as well as supporting a water pipeline.  

Como was severely affected by bushfires in 1994, with upwards of 70 houses burnt down. Como West Public School was also destroyed by the fires and a new school was built on the original land. 

The Como Rail Bridge is one of twelve lattice truss bridges ordered, imported and constructed for the Railway Department of New South Wales, Australia [from 1871 to 1887] Eleven of these lattice truss bridges survive.

 

Top

 

   Contact Us

   Privacy Policy

   Site Map