Circular Quay and Sydney
Customs House is one of Sydney's historic landmark buildings, which has featured
in the working and cultural life of the city since it was constructed in 1845.
“For over 150 years, Customs House played an active role as the primary trade gateway for goods and people
flowing into Sydney and Australia.”
Customs House is located on a significant site where the local Eora people are said to have watched the First
Fleet land. The Aboriginal flag is now permanently flown from the building.
The Australian Customs Service occupied Customs House until 1990. In 1994, the City of Sydney was
given the building to operate by the Federal Government
Circular Quay encroaches over the natural shoreline of Sydney Cove. At East Circular Quay the 1788 shoreline is
indicated in the granite paving by cast bronze discs. The first constructed shoreline, reclaimed to form Circular
Quay, is mapped by a continuous band of white granite.
European settlement commenced at Sydney Cove in 1788. The Aboriginal flag is flown at the beautifully restored
Customs House in recognition that it was built on the site where Australia's indigenous people reportedly watched
the arrival of the First Fleet and where the British Flag was raised.
Initially used to unload sailing ships from England, Sydney Cove became the embarkation point for cargo and
passenger ships, wool clippers, government and private boats.
Bennelong Point is the location of the Sydney Opera House in. It was called Tubowghule by the
local Indigenous Australians.
The point was originally a small tidal island, Bennelong Island, that largely consisted of rocks
with a small beach on the western side. The island was located on the tip of the eastern arm of Sydney Cove
and was apparently separated from the mainland at high tide. For a brief period in 1788, this relatively
isolated protrusion into Port Jackson (Sydney's natural harbour) was called Cattle Point as it was used to
confine the few cattle and horses that had been brought from Cape Town by Governor Phillip with the First
Milsons Point on the opposite side of the harbour, is now the home to Luna Park
fairground that opened in 1935, which in turn is host to a steam driven galloping horse carousel that was
built in England around 1900. The Sydney's Coney Island is a fun park, almost all intact from the
opening of the Park in 1935. The current park buildings covers the ground occupied by the station from
1915 to 1932.
James Milson (1783-1872), wes born in Lincolnshire, England. He arrived in Sydney in the Albion in August 1806
and obtained employment on a farm at the Field of Mars (near Ryde). In 1810 he married Elizabeth Kilpack his
employer's daughter; he then described himself as 'servant and labourer'. His eldest son, also James, was
born at the Field of Mars and went on to become one of Sydneys most progressive businessmen. Keenly
interested in charities of various kinds, Milson was a director of the Sydney Sailors' Home and of the Benevolent
Asylum. In 1881 he founded the Oberlin Friendly Aid Society 'to give friendly aid to cultured persons now
indigent'. Like his father he was an enthusiastic yachtsman from the 1830s onwards and in 1862 was first
vice-commodore of the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron and commodore in 1863.
The terminus of the finest ferry service in the world is written on the front of the card.
can trace its roots as far back as the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove where in 1789,
the first ferry service was established from the Cove to the farming settlement of Parramatta. The first ferry,
officially named the Rose Hill Packet (otherwise known as 'The Lump'), was crafted by convicts and
powered by sails and oars. Trips inland from Sydney Cove to Parramatta typically took up to one week to
complete. As time progressed, a series of rowboat ferrymen set up small operations to transport people from
either side of Sydney Harbour.
In 1861, the North Shore Ferry
Company was established which operated the very first commercial ferry service across Sydney Harbour.
In 1899, ferry services were
integrated into Sydney Ferries Limited, which became the world's largest ferry operator by fleet size. After
the Sydney Harbour Bridge opened in March 1932, ferry patronage dropped almost overnight, decreasing
from 30 to 13 million passengers per year.