Stamp

 

Postcards from 100 years ago

 

 

Canterbury Road

LEWISHAM  

Lewisham was named in 1834 after the estate of Joshua Frey Josephson, businessman and judge and also owner of Enmore House. He named it after the London Borough of Lewisham, which means Leofsa's village or manor.  

131 Canterbury Road

131 Now. Building on the right is unchanged

Lewisham is notable in railway history. It was the termination point for the first train journey in the NSW colony in 1855, although the railway station was not built until 1885. The whipple truss bridge over Long Cove Creek was constructed 1885-1886 featuring North American technology developed by Squire Whipple. It is probably the most significant railway bridge site in Australia, certainly in NSW. It has the unique distinction of 4 different types of bridges from different eras. The Institution of Engineers Australia designated the Viaduct in 1994 as an historic engineering marker. 

Canterbury Road Wayside Inns 1843-1893 cnr Canterbury Road & Kingsgrove Road, Belmore Unveiled by Councillor Kayee Griffin, Mayor of Canterbury on 22 April 1999.  

The first inn to be licensed in the village of Canterbury was the Canterbury Arms from 1 July 1843, and there were a number of other inns in the village in the next twenty years. The Woolpack Inn operated from the 1860s until 1940, when it was demolished and the Hotel Canterbury opened near the Railway Station.  

Following the opening of Canterbury Road beyond Cooks River in the 1850s, the Sugar Loaf Inn at "Mount Pleasant" (present-day Belmore) was licensed to Robert West in 1856. The previous year, the police objected to the application for a license because it did not have proper accommodation, had no stables, and the yard was not enclosed. When asked about the bedrooms, the applicant's wife had pointed to a hole in the ceiling with no staircase or other means of ascent. The police report commented that there were a great number of sly-grog shops in the area but the constable had been unable to detect them.  

In 1857, the name of the inn was changed to the Traveller's Home, and it was shown in various maps and directories until the 1880s. In 1893, Aaron Brown opened a new hotel on Mount Pleasant, the St George Hotel, which he hoped would become a meeting place for the "social elite" of the surrounding districts. 

 

Top

 

   Contact Us

   Privacy Policy

   Site Map